Sunday, January 24, 2010

COFFEE: an essential web design tool.

While settling into my new home in Atlanta, I have been plotting the launch of my own version of SK&MS (minus the .blogger.com and minus the form template). It turns out that it takes longer than a few days to make a website, who would have thought? This isn't your standard html coding friends, I demand an amazing site. Thus, you'll have to wait longer for greatness.

That being said, it turns out that in order to program this site, I've needed a LOT of coffee, and have thus been on several coffee shop tours of Atlanta. I am finding that my discovery of new places in the ATL is generally paired with one of two beverages: coffee or beer. Let's focus on the former today. So, what have I been drinking while coding SK&MS version 2.0? Let's see...


I'm actually here right now! As I avoid the monsoon with my fellow coffee shop rain-bravers (a surprisingly high turn out for the 3 inches of rain forecasted today), I'm drinking a large vanilla latte and catching-up on emails. Here's the scoop on the Inman Perk:

- It has a great name, just at the edge of Inman Park (which is right next to my neighborhood, the Old 4th Ward --- I'll refer to my part of town as "the O4W" from now on, so take note and keep up!) with an appropriate coffee-like twist on it's location.
- Outlets everywhere --- this is a staple of any good coffee shop. I refuse to fight for power.
- Books available for borrowing while patrons sip their javas. A nice touch, but I usually come to coffee places armed with a to do list.
- I'm jamming to an awesome Inman Perk provided playlist --- I've heard Spoon, Regina Spektor, and Matt and Kim in the last half-hour.
- The coffee is strong! I'm pretty sure that my 16 oz latte has three shots of espresso in it right now. I appreciate this at 6PM, but we'll see how I'm doing when I try to go to bed tonight in preparing to wake up at 5AM tomorrow (that's right, I work first shift).
- Plenty of seating and a hip patronage!

So, will this be a regular coffee place? Yes, sir! And, a bonus: I can walk here (but probably not in the rain, I'm parked right across the street currently).

Inman Perk Coffee on Urbanspoon


Karin was in for her first week of work from Pittsburgh on Friday, and before her flight, we met up for coffee at Octane in West Midtown (formerly the Westside). I looked for apartments in West Midtown, and I really liked the area, but I did not like the apartment prices. Thus, my time spent there will be for gallery viewings, eating, and coffee drinking. Octane is my new number one coffee shop in Atlanta, here's why:

- The coffee is simply deliscious. Normally I don't solely love coffee shops for their coffee (I'll be honest, the number of outlets has about the same weight in my mind). But, man, Octane has some deliscious espresso (it's of Pittsburgh's Taza D'oro caliber)!
- Trendy atmosphere with witty staff and a great catch line on their website ("we think it has something to do with the coffee") make this place just as addictive as the coffee they sell.
- I love the O4W, but Octane helps make a compelling argument for W.Midtown as one of the cooler parts of Atlanta

So, will this be a regular coffee place? Heck yes! I need to test out the outlet situation and internet connectivity, and I'm sensing another visit this week...

Octane Coffee (Westside) on Urbanspoon


Be very jealous, I live right next door to the Highland Bakery. That's right, my street consistently smells of fresh bread and pastries, and I'm a quick run in PJ's away from what Urban Spoon deems to be the best coffee in Atlanta.

I visited the Highland Bakery on my first official day as a resident of ATL, and I brought my mom along for the ride. Here's what we found:

- AMAZING, AMAZING fresh breads (and sandwiches that go on them)
- Cool converted factory feel (you know, exposed brick, etc)
- Very good coffee, although I did not get any gourmet drinks
- A down side: it's really loud! I'm going to treat it as a take-out place for my fresh bagel and muffin purchasing needs.

So, will this be a regular coffee place? For to-go purchases, you bet ya!

Highland Bakery on Urbanspoon

Looks like I'm 3-for-3 on amazing coffee finds in my new town! More to come with my coffee, beer, and food finds in the 303** zip codes. Be looking for updates to this site, and then updates to the new site (at a time to be announced later)!

1 comment:

  1. SK&MS version 2.0? this is new for me!! wow, its great, guys we should try this one! can i suggest, please post more info about this sk&ms version 2.0.,, tnx...
    rocreh web design

    ReplyDelete